The future of Power Management - together with Activities

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 14:44:57 UTC 2011

On Saturday 01 October 2011 16:39:38 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Not sure about coupling them with activities...
>
> There are actually two other issues I have right now with the power
> management:

Well, those are actually bugs, hence slightly OT. Anyway...

> 1) it has per-user settings.
> This becomes really strange when multiple users are logged in into one
> notebook. This should be a systemwide setting.

I don't agree on this one: different users might have different policies.
Also, if your PC has ConsoleKit installed on it (which is likely), the power
manager acts only on the active session.

> 2) I think I still have the problem that when the session is locked and
> the  screensaver is active, power management doesn't work, i.e. the
> notebook doesn't go to sleep when I close the lid. I suspect this is also
> because at that moment no user is active so no user settings are applied.

Exactly. This is something which is partly solved, but I'll look at after the
new screen locker will be into place.

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer