ScreenSaver and KDE Plasma 4.8?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Oct 1 10:36:12 UTC 2011

On Thursday, September 29, 2011 23:49:50 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > * drop screensaver support altogether, probably would create some troubles
> > as evil KDE removed screensavers
> > * add Plasma widget support to new screen locker implementation but drop
> > screensaver support (same problems as first option)
>
> I don't think these are acceptable. Our users will complain loudly if their
> screensavers stop working.

unless we give them something better and communicate with understanding. as
someone else noted, understanding how and why people use this feature will be
helpful.

communicating clearly the path forward with wayland, lock screens that meet
all current use cases and the security problems with the current x
screensavers will be vital. i really like martin's 4.8 -> 4.9 plan as it will
give us a natural opportunity for this communication.

we also need to show what is possible with the QML solution we are offering,
which is pretty flexible already.

we should also stress that if things like OpenGL screensavers are important
enough to people, that support for "things to draw moving things on screen
when locked" can be created anew. it's not that screensavers are somehow
inherently evil, just that the 20 year old implementation (as of 2012; first
release was in 1992) of them is no longer fit for today's systems, and we
currently do not have the manpower to reimpliment that feature set with our
current resources. i think it would make a fine user-supported add-on.

humru othro a kohnu se