ScreenSaver and KDE Plasma 4.8?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Oct 1 06:05:31 UTC 2011

On Saturday 01 October 2011 04:46:29 Markus Slopianka wrote:
> Is anybody aware of empiric studies for what (if at all) people use screensavers these
> days?
> Personally I'd expect clock, news headlines, and photo slideshows to be the top answers.
> QML replacements should be available for the top uses once the xscreensaver code is
> dropped. (IMHO at least.)
I don't have empirical studies but given the bug reports we get OpenGL screensavers seem to be quite common these
days as well and I think that's the group which would be difficult. Those who really need the Matrix screensaver. On
the other hand most screensavers are low quality and hardly updated.

What could help is to get some data from the distros how many users have screensavers actually installed.

Cheers
Martin