bug killing

Christoph Feck christoph at maxiom.de
Tue Nov 22 09:16:09 UTC 2011

<christoph at maxiom.de> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 22 November 2011 01:30:46 todd rme wrote:
> >> Is there a feature for bugzilla that allows users to flag bugs
> >> as being fixed, duplicate, upstream, downstream, etc?
> >
> > You can use https://bugs.kde.org/enter_sysadmin_request.cgi and
> > select component "bugzilla" to request the rights to edit bugs.
> > If needed, you can mention me as an approver.
> >
> > Christoph Feck (kdepepo)
> > KDE Quality Team
>
> Thanks!  I will do so.

Great, looking forward to your participation in bug squashing ;)

> But this isn't really about me specifically, it is a way for any
> user to make the bug triaging load easier.  Even if users aren't
> specifically hunting for bugs that should be closed, they can
> still stumble upon them when using bko normally, and when they do
> it would be helpful if there was a way for them to notify
> developers about the issue so it can be fixed.

Usually adding a comment to the bug should be sufficient, as the
maintainer of the application receiving the message will close the bug
later. Mentioning "bug XY can be closed because it was fixed in KDE
4.x.y" in #kde-bugs might work, too.

Plasma bug list is a bit different. It does not have a maintainer
looking at the messages regularily, so those messages are lost in
noise, as you already mentioned.

> Of course we
> can't just give every user admin rights, the final decision would
> still have to go through someone trusted,

Exactly. Sometimes I even have to reopen bugs from users that reported
and closed their own bugs ;)

> but the people who have
> the authority to make a decision can't if they don't know the
> issue exists.  Hence a dedicated way to inform them would help, I
> think.

The sysadmin request does exactly that, or am I missing something?