bug killing

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Nov 20 20:37:16 UTC 2011

hi everyone ..

so .. 1700+ bugs. fun, huh? :)

i spent a couple hours today scrolling to a random middle area of our bug list
and opening reports. most fixes took less than half an hour, some less than 5
minutes. many were closed as already fixed, not enough info or down/upstream.
i was able to kill ~30 reports today.

we have very little bug triage happening (those who are doing triage, though,
I LOVE YOU! :) and we need people willing and able to write some patches to
get involved on a regular basis.

2-3 bug fixes a week by people on this list would make a huge difference.

i asked previously for someone to collect ~5 reports at a time and send them
to the list for the devs to tackle. didn't happen. so i tried it once and LO!
the reports were fixed in short order. but you know what? it would have been
faster for me to do it myself. and after that first set of bug reports, the
people who actually contributed to the fixes didn't really do much more fixing
after that.

moreover there are TONS of reports that simply need to be closed.

so .. we need to do something about this. i am willing to do any/all the
following:

* encourage people by setting goals like "close 200 bug reports between now
and 4.8.0"

* hold a seminar on irc to help teach others effective bugs.kde.org report
sqashing, plasma style

* host a bug-squash day on irc

* help someone get started with "pick 5 reports, send it to the plasma-devel
list" program that works, but which just isn't efficient if i am the one doing
it ;)

but i need to know which of those options would be interesting to people. we
can increase the quality and reliability of plasma, particularly on the
desktop, dramatically here and make our users really happy. but we need to
pull together to make this work.

if you have other ideas, let me know.

p.s. i am looking to some of the plasma old timers who are now quietly sitting
around watching instead of doing as much as i am to the new comers who aren't
sure how to proceed ;)

humru othro a kohnu se