Extenders in libplasma2 (or.. not)

Hans Chen hanswchen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 14:35:03 UTC 2011

>From a user's POV, I second what Ivan wrote. I still think it was a neat
idea but there were several reasons why I didn't use extenders:

1. Crash-prone. Plasma would often crash when playing around with them (the
Extender section in Plasma HowTo was, hands down, the hardest section to
record due to frequent crashes. This was in <=4.5 though).
2. Discoverability. In the original mockups it looked like the popup "grew
out" of the panel, it had a colorful titlebar and it would detach from the
panel if you clicked/dragged the bar.
3. Implementation. The fact that you had to unlock your widgets to drag
extenders rendered them completely useless to me and probably a lot of
other users. I would've preferred if they could "float" on the desktop, not
affecting other widgets - this would be useful for other widgets as well,
such as Notes, BbalL etc.

OK, enough ranting. :) In short I think very few users know about this
feature, and even fewer would miss it if it was removed.