IconTasks import

Craig Drummond craig.drummond at gmx.net
Sun Nov 6 08:50:10 UTC 2011

Hi,

Now that all of IconTasks' taskmanager changes have been merged (and
improved, thanks to Aaron), should I also add IconTasks itself to
plasma-addons? I foresee the following sticking points:

1. IconTasks can show KDE job progress over a tasks icon. To accomplish
this it uses the "applicationjobs" data engine. However, this has an
unfortunate side effect. The KDE job view server assumes that if there
is an application listening to jobs, that it will also control them.
IconTasks only displays progress, it cannot control the jobs. So, if a
user activates IconTasks' job progress display, and then deactivates the
job settings from the plasma job viewer, you can no longer control the
job. The job view server thinks there is a job conrtol app registered,
and so will not produce the standalone job progress dialogs. To resolve
this, there needs to be a way to indicate to the job server that a
particular app is only listening to events, and does not want to control
them.

2. To support thumbnail close buttons, media-buttons on tooltips, more
windows in preview, etc. IconTasks contains a modified version of the
plasma tooltips code. This can be resolved by either leaving the copy in
IconTasks, or merging the changes into libplasma.

Craig.

p.s. I've released v0.9.0 of IconTasks with the merged version of
taskmanager (http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Icon+Tasks?content=144808)