Plasma Desktop UX

Michal Luscon mluscon at gmail.com
Fri May 27 21:40:24 CEST 2011

Hi,
I would like to put forward several proposals aimed to increase Plasma
Desktop usability. As I mentioned in my blog post
<http://bliak.blogspot.com/2011/05/plasma-desktop-ux-testing_17.html> I
was conducting usability testing of new widget addition which revealed
some usability shortcomings. In fallowing lines I will try to outline my
intended solutions and I am expecting your suggestions or objections.

#1 - no significant GUI action after right click and unlock widget choice
Tested users was really confused because they expect GUI response after
every of their action in user interface. I think that it would be better
to show right upper toolbox menu after right click and unlock widget choice.

#2 - horizontal menu Add Widgets does not correspond with previous user
experience
This is thing to discuss.

#3 - low sensitivity of scrollbar button(arrow icon) in Add Widget menu
Ease to fix.

#4 - some widgets are not movable by dragging the whole surface
My opinion is that all widgets would be movable by dragging their
surface in the case of unlocked state(touch devices).

#5 - widget's buttons resize, rotate and setup don't contain pop-up help
I made up two possible solutions of this issue - pop-up help :-) or
special mouse pointers(#6)

#6 - mouse pointer is not changed when it is holding rotate button
Oxygen mouse pointer theme does not contain action pointers(rotate,
resize, ... )

Michal Luscon