[4.7 Beta1 blocker] plasma depending on kdelibs/experimental

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Sat May 21 11:08:53 CEST 2011

Hi,

in the past we used to have the rule that kdelibs provides a stable ABI
backward compatible API. When the need for experimental, not yet mature
libraries came up, we introduced kdelibs/experimental.

Back then, the rule was that no stable public API must depend on experimental,
ABI-unsafe libraries.

I now discover this to be broken in master:

plasma/widgets/declarativewidget.cpp requires kdeclarative.h which comes from
libkdedeclarative in kdelibs/experimental

Is the previous rule no longer valid? otherwise, how to deal with this
situation? Move plasma to experimental? remove the dependency again?

Thanks,
Dirk