KWin and Qt5

Alexis Ménard menard at kde.org
Mon May 9 23:52:58 CEST 2011

Hi,

There are big differences between QGPW and QWidget sitting on top of
the scene graph.

QPW we needed to :

- Convert all events from a QWidget (QGV) to QGS then back to QWidget.
- Hook up the painting code from one QPainter to the paintEvent of QWidget.

QGV was a framework sitting on top of another one (QWidget) trying to
integrate again with the one it's sitting on.

The way I see the QWidget integration with scene graph is WAY more simple :

- No event redirections/machinery (this is managed by Lighthouse already).
- All drawing calls made on QPainter goes to the scene graph.

Not sure they will redo the backing store related stuff. It will be
most probably not fast but good enough for desktop usage and as a
legacy framework.

So I believe it's WAY less cave-heats than QGP.