KWin and Qt5

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon May 9 23:21:40 CEST 2011

On Monday, May 9, 2011 19:31:30 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> * We need a context managment. We can no longer rely on only KWin creating a
> context
> * OpenGL ES backend could cause trouble if Qt pulls in desktop GL
> and vice versa[2]. Does Qt uses a plugin approach?

none of this is given yet, and there are many possibilities; we can, and
should, get involved in Qt5 design discussions sooner rather than later so we
can be sure that our needs are heard and that we are aware of decisions that
get made far in advance.

> * With OpenGL becoming a requirement to run KDE software, we can go to
> compositing only (we are no longer the only ones being slow/breaking the
> desktop).

this is the wrong argument imho. if we can appeal to a broader audience we
should. just because others are limiting themselves doesn't mean we suddenly
have license to as well.

i think we first need to find out what it means when "Qt5 will require OpenGL"
and how the approach taken interacts with the various drivers. just because
the apps use OpenGL to deal with in-window 2D interfaces that reside in a
single process (if that is indeed the path that gets taken; it might not be),
that does not necessarily mean that we can assume compositing can be relied
on.

it could well end up that software fallbacks, albeit with the OpenGL API, are
enough to drive the desktop apps. the same can not be said of kwin
compositing.

so before we go running of cliffs here (to soar into the sky or fall into the
ocean :) let's be patient and find out where the cards will fall in Qt5 first.

humru othro a kohnu se