Idea for Season of KDE

John Layt john at layt.net
Wed May 4 21:13:57 CEST 2011

On Wednesday 04 May 2011 20:03:27 John Layt wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 May 2011 12:35:27 Samikshan Bairagya wrote:
> > Hi, I am interested in participating in the season of KDE with a project
> > idea which is related to the Digital-Clock Plasma Applet.
> > While the Digital-Clock applet does show events (mainly holidays) it can
> > be put to better use if we add more features to it.
> > This is the idea:
> > On clicking on any date from the calendar that pops up from the clock, we
> > should be able to view more
> > information related to that date(past or future). Various date specific
> > informations like chat-logs, browsing history, emails
> > received/sent, birthdays, to-dos/appointments also notes if we do wish to
> > write them down.
> >
> > I suppose this would be great. Regarding implementation I think
> > integration with Kontact, Nepomuk. Well I about the
> > chat logs I am not sure if integration should be done with telepathy or
> > not. So, it would be great if anyone interested could
> > mentor me throughout this. :)
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> Hi Samikshan,
>
> A nice idea, but unfortunately one that is already being worked on.  At the
> moment we have both Holidays and Akonadi support in the Plasma Calendar
> widget, which will give us full PIM data integration once the kdepim
> migration is complete.  We also already have a GSoC project this year for
> Zeitgeist integration into Plasma which will give us the other data,
> albeit not yet in the calendar.  If you do want to try adding it to the
> calendar then pop back after GSoC and use the new dataengine to do so.
>
> Have a look at the
>
> Cheers!
>
> John.

Sorry, missed the bit on the end :-)  I was going to suggest if you want to
work on a SoK project for the Plasma Calendar that you could look into two-way
Akonadi integration, e.g. being able to add new appointments via the calendar.
I'm not sure if that is enough work of a SoK project or not, but if you do
some research and come up with a draft proposal we can make a decision then.

Cheers!

John.