questions about KWin shadows

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed May 4 20:30:01 CEST 2011

On Wednesday 04 May 2011 19:58:14 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 4, 2011 17:19:37 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > that is in fact the main idea of the new shadow system as the compositor
> > cannot know about the light model used by the client, whether to apply drop
> > shadows etc. etc. And of course the compositor doesn't know the clients
> > shape like Marco already said.
>
> well, in any case, it's working now in master for panels.
awesome, it just took as eight releases to get it working :-D
> those are now
> rendered using the kwin effect.
In fact it's not an effect, but an integrated part of the compositor which allows all the magic
like not being blurred, clicks going through and not affecting anything else :-)
> i'll work on the other bits and pieces in
> libplasma later.
cool

> it seems to work nicely with the panel autohide slide in/out effect as well,
> and content behind the shadow is not blurred. clicks go through ... all in a
> nice improvement.
>
> you may wish to check it out for yourselves to ensure there are no performance
> regressions.
just compiled, looks really good and I will keep an eye on performance. It also seems to be no
issue that the shadow is above the windows and not below.

> there is just one copy of the pixmaps kept for all the panels; there will end
> up being another set for popups and yet another for tooltips, i believe.
Currently KWin is still keeping an additional copy of the pixmaps for each window, but that is
something I want to optimize.

Martin