questions about KWin shadows

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon May 2 17:34:17 CEST 2011

On Monday 02 May 2011 15:34:52 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>  hi..
>
> i just pushed a commit which attempts to replace the ShadowWindow that
> PanelView in plasma-desktop was using with the _KDE_NET_WM_SHADOW hint.
>
> it doesn't seem to be working, however .. some general questions i have after
> reading http://community.kde.org/KWin/Shadow :
>
> * the property is a single char*, correct?
yes

> * are all four numeric offsets required even if showing only one shadow?
yes, all values are required.

> * is there a way to get the default sizes for the offsets? e.g. if passing in
> -1 or some such?
there is no default offset size. It is completly controlled by the client

> * does it work with windows that don't have decorations? dock windows, in
> particular?
Windows wich have decorations are the only ones which should not get the shadows.
Docks should work.

In any case I recommend reading [1]. Feel free to show me the diff.

Cheers
Martin

[1]: https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdebase/kde-
workspace/repository/revisions/master/entry/kstyles/oxygen/oxygenshadowhelper.cpp