SoK idea: Improve krunner result displaying and navigation.

Luiz Romário Santana Rios luizromario at gmail.com
Sun May 1 09:04:54 CEST 2011

Take a look at this and see if it's OK:

Improve krunner result displaying brainstorm:
+ Tweak runners result rating
  * Nepomuk runner
   ~ Remove over and over repeated results
  * File search runner
   Priority criteria
   ~ Exact match: for "photos", priorize "Photos" over "Photos - september",
for example
   ~ Priorize folders over files
   ~ Folders that contain several folders or files that match the query,
probably showing them as "subresults"
  * Google runner
   ~ Show a list of actual results from the search (Is this possible?)
+ Change krunner result displaying
  * Group each runner results into its own category
  * Allow user to change the categories' priorities (For example: first,
commands, then, files, then, nepomuk, etc....).
  * Show as many results as it fits in krunner, shrinking the less relevant
ones. (configurable)
  * If there are results from more than a runner, give the user an option to
expand one category and show only its results.
   ~ Show further results in the associated application
  * Show extra actions for each item
  * Give the option of using a compact layout
  * Mockup:
https://picasaweb.google.com/luizromario/Mockups#5601639496208873426
+ Fine-tune krunner
  * Popup some helping text if user waits too long
  * Tell the user when krunner is searching and when it found nothing
  * Put query in a different thread so krunner doesn't freeze while the user
is typing something (if it still isn't).

And I think the KSysGuard part it uses needs some care too.

Anyway, sorry for taking so long, I got stuck sometimes when doing this.

2011/4/30 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>

>  On Friday, April 29, 2011 23:57:57 Luiz Romário Santana Rios wrote:

> > > each

> > > item

> > > which is almost always going to be the nepomuk search ;)

> > > sounds good; mockups always help.
> >
> > Here's one:
> >
> http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_V8ZPvFyTxNc/Tbty2kU7CII/AAAAAAAAARs/v_Ut1J
> > 8P4DQ/01%20-%20Expand%20and%20Shrink%20less%20relevant%20results.png
> >
> > It's bad, I know, I suck at making mockups, but it gives part of the idea
> of
> > what I mean.
>
> wire frame mockups like that one are just fine. they let one concentrate on
> the structure rather than get distracted by shiny things ;)
>
> > Notice that I show two different ways of expanding the results
> > in it. I think the button is better, but it takes too much space, so I'm
>
> and what would be the workflow to expand / collapse / run?

> an important part of krunner is being able to very quickly type and
> execute.
> the UI is not fancy, but it is designed for speed.

See mockup in the beginning of the message. But, basically, running anything
by just typing and hitting enter wouldn't change much.

> > > then the Nepomuk runner needs tweaking in how it rates results.
> >
> > So this is the first thing we should do, I guess.
>
> it's definitely a good starting point. :)
>
> > What I meant was that I think it's better to wait one or two seconds
> after
> > the user stops typing so that krunner doesn't start querying with an
> > incomplete string.
>
> that would probably ruin one of the main features of krunner: match as you
> type.

Yeah, you're right.

> > I also think it would give focus to the main result, if
> > there's one, but I may be wrong.
>
> it already does.
>
> > Weird. Should it work if I just type in something and then press the down
> > arrow?
>
> yes...
>
> > Well, I will stop and think over this project and get back with better
> > summarized idead and more mockups tomorrow.
>
> :)

See above. :)

> --
> Aaron J. Seigo