Google Summer of Code

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Mar 25 18:01:26 CET 2011

On Friday 25 March 2011 13:04:45 José Expósito wrote:
> Hi!
Hi José,

thanks for your interest in a GSoC for KWin.

> My name is José Expósito, and I'm a student of computer engineering.
> I'm really interested in participate in the Google Summer of Code of
> this year, and KWin is one of the projects that more interest me and I
> would like to talk with mentor and with the KWin comunity before send
> my "resume".
>
> At present I'm the developer of two little projects, a small WM writen
> in C++ with Qt and a gesture recognizer for manage windows and more, I
> think that this video about it, using KWin, will clarify the concept
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ek4QaFQ1qo>
>
> You can check the last version of the code of this proyects in the SVN
> at official webpage:
> https://code.google.com/p/eggwm/
> https://code.google.com/p/touchegg/
wow, that looks impressive. Given your knowledge in that area it looks like a wast to let you
work on some boring refactoring :-) So yes it's totally fine to have an own idea for GSoC and
I think your multitouch work would be valuable for complete KDE.

In my opinion it's not something that needs to be in KWin, but might be better as a KDED
module available to the complete workspace. That's why I CC-ed the plasma devel mailinglist.
For such a project I would recommend to find a mentor knowledged with input devices (I'm
not and I don't know who our expert is).

> I'm interested in all projects, specially "Modularization of
> Workspace" and "Initial Support for Wayland Clients".
Concerning the Support for Wayland Clients, we had a thread on this mailinglist recently [1]. I
recommend to read it. To be honest: that project is the most unlikely one to get a slot in KWin.

For the modularization the most important part for me is a close collaboration with the mentor.
Given my time constraint I can only mentor a student living in the European Timezone. In this
project it will also be important to closely collaborate with a possible other GSoC student
working on the Unit testing framework.
> Of course I have experience with develop window managers, ICCM and
> EWMH standards, testing under Xephyr, a little experience with OpenGL
> (basic stuffs), etc
sounds great. I will probably have a look on your sourcecode this weekend.

> Any guide or documentation about this issues is welcome. For example,
> description about what is exactly the "Workspace", in what modules
> should be divided, information about developed under Wayland...
We have some documentation about KWin internals on community.kde.org. There are class
diagrams illustrating the problem of the current design. Currently I cannot much say on the
what needs to be divided into modules as it's the idea to do this part in the GSoC in close
collaboration with me and the other developers.

> Thanks in advance, best regards!
>
> PS - Other stuff, I don't know if KWin will accept others project that
> aren't in the project list, but someone knows if KWin (or KDE) project
> are interested in add multi-touch support for manage windows? I think
> that I could be of use in this area
as said this is highly interesting and I would like to here the opinion of our Plasma gurus on it
;-)

Cheers
Martin