GSoC proposal : home automation

Marsollier Robin robin.marsollier at etudiant.univ-rennes1.fr
Thu Mar 24 18:59:49 CET 2011

Hi everybody,

I'm preparing my proposal for GSOC and I want some feedback.

In last discussion about it, Luca Tringali proposed an integration with Plasma
Media Center, I think it's a very good idea for long term, but for now,
domogik is in way for its 0.10 release,  PMC is also expecting its first
release, and my project is only ideas.
So I think it could be preferable to devellop only bases for home automation
with domogik in KDE for the moment, and I could do integration with PCM after
its first release and after this summer, with all time I need to do it.

I drew some drafts of what could be the plasmoids, and I have for the moment
two plasmoid : one for supervision of house in general, and one for
supervision of a single room in the building. I will upload my drafts soon.

I'm also thinking for a way to set up a configuration for the home, and since
that is not an item used every day (add a room, add shutters, lamps or heating
...), I think it does'nt have its place in a plasmoid, so in a dedicated app?
Probably, for my point of view.

And what type of interface should I develop for it? With an other app for
conf, I think I couldn't use dataengine/services of Plasma ? So a kio ?

I intend to start before the official start of GSoC because I travel a few days
in early june. It is a problem for mentors to work with me ​​before official
start in order to give them a little break after? :D

And what do you think of this? Too ambitious, not enough?

Presently, I'm revising my C++ (the easy part) and after, I will learn Qt, but
I must also pass my year in the same time. I would try to join you on IRC this
week-end (pseudo : rmrsllr), if I find time.

Cheers,
Robin Marsollier