Plasmate: some files miss licenses

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Mar 14 14:25:10 CET 2011

Hi all,

[If you're in the CC: of this email explicitely, please reply to it in any
case.]

The short version:

	Are you OK with changing the license in the unlicensed files you have
	worked on in Plasmate to GPLV2+ and KDE e.V. approved licenses?

Longer version:

Over the weekend, I've had a closer look at Plasmate, to fix some bugs and
improve it here and there. It struck me that the licensing is currently
incomplete -- some files are missing a licensing header. If we want to release
Plasmate at some point, that's something we'll need to work out.

I started on this by streamlining the copyright headers (some used a short
form to refer to the GPLv2+, I've replaced those with the advised text at
http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy#GPL_Header

There are still some files unlicensed at this point, though. I've asked Paul
Adams to help me a bit to sort out the people who have written or contributed
to these files, and thanks to grep, uniq, sort and svn log, I've compiled a
list of people per file that are the copyright holders according to svn log.

The list is:

---- *snip* ------

packagemodel.h
    aseigo
    asouza
    casella
    sandroandrade
    shantanu
    yuenlim
packagemodel.cpp
    aseigo
    asouza
    casella
    mart
    sandroandrade
    shantanu
    yuenlim
sidebaritem.cpp
    aseigo
    casella
sidebartablewidget.cpp
    casella
    mlaurent
sidebartablewidget.h
    casella
    mlaurent
editors/editpage.h
    asouza
    mlaurent
    shantanu
    yuenlim
editors/editpage.cpp
    aseigo
    asouza
    mlaurent
    sandroandrade
    shantanu
    yuenlim
savesystem/tabledelegate.cpp
    casella
savesystem/tabledelegate.h
    casella
savesystem/tablewidget.cpp
    casella
savesystem/tablewidget.h
    casella
savesystem/timeline.cpp
    aseigo
    casella
    coles
    ilic
    yuenlim
savesystem/timeline.h
    aseigo
    casella
    yuenlim
savesystem/timelineitem.cpp
    aseigo
    casella
savesystem/timelineitem.h
    aseigo
    casella

---- *snip* ------

(I've *NOT* looked at the commits themselves, because I'm not in the position
to judge if a patch is too trivial or should include the author in the file's
copyright. A las, if you think your contribution to some file is trivial, let
me know and I'll not include your name in the copyright header. Otherwise,
please let me know if you're OK with changing the files you have been working
on to the GPLv2 or later, including the clausule

In order to protect your copyright in the future, please also consider signing
the KDE e.V.'s fiduciary licensing agreement, which is a safe construct to
keep copyright of KDE code intact and workable in case you are not available
for eventual licensing changes, should that ever become necessary. (Different
topic though.)

Please (ideally) send me an "I am OK with the licensing changes you propose.",
or in case you're not OK with it, let me know that as well and I'll see what
we can do about it. I kind of expect this to be an administrative thing, but
needs to happen nevertheless.

Thanks for your attention on this boring topic. :-)

sebas