libplasma2: split anything

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 15:55:53 CEST 2011

Hi all,

just to update everybody on a little experiment i did today on libplasma2:

i finally managed to pull out of libplasma in a separate library everything
related to QGraphicsView (that we would ideally need just for the legacy
plasma-desktop/netbook), that means:

widgets
animations
extenders
handles
toolbox
applet
containment
corona
view

on a fully optimized/stripped library, the size of libplasma proper, goes from
2.9 MB to 1.1 !!
(with of course the more that one meg library of qgraphicsview stuff, that in
plasma-mobile for instance would not be loaded at all)

right now all of this is in the branch libplasma2-splitqgv

not everything works, there are pieces of code commented with FIXME IMPLEMENT
AGAIN just to make it build (the second library and some tests don't build atm
as well)

and most important we need some replacement for corona applet containment for
the new library, ideally based only on qobject, but retrocompatible uhm...
somehow

but i think we are on the right track, i think we can do a library waaay
lighter for libplasma2 ;)

--
Marco Martin