kde freezes after updating distro ( open suse 11.4 )

nitin chadha contact.nitinchadha at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 18:32:09 CEST 2011

hi,
i somehow, crashed my open suse, and hence all the files of the build
environment
i made. when i again reinstalled it and then updated through zypper, kde
started to freeze
after the splash screen. i have sucessfully repeated the process ( of
freezing ) two times.
so, here i am looking for clues to solve the problem before i end up doing
same the third time.

exact problem :
kde starts , followed by splash screen and i can see my desktop.
but then no mouse click or keyboard press has any effect( only ctrl  +alt +
F1 works ).

basically, i am looking at the logs ( but where they are ? ), so that i can
get some clue.
secondly, the repositories to add before updating. as my project deals with
plasma-active,
so, i used plasma-active and kde-unstable repo's, as mentioned in techbase.
( along with
packman and contrib ).

i did tried following things before installing and upgrading before second
time.
1. tried to rebuild x and done that. gnome starts well.
2. set changes of .kde4 in home directory to default

--
Regards,
Nitin Chadha