can't access methods of data engine output for digital-clock declarative example

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 23:22:29 CEST 2011

Hi,

I am working with the digital clock qml example in
kdeexamples/plasma/declarative/digital-clock

One thing I am trying to do is extract and output the seconds from the
dataengine.  The original example has this at line 54:

    Text { text: 'Time Is ' + dataSource.data['Local']['Time']; }

This displayed the time correctly.  I converted it to:

    Text { text: 'Time Is ' + dataSource.data['Local']['Time'].second(); }

This returned following error:

    main.qml:54: TypeError: Result of expression
'dataSource.data['Local']['Time'].second' [undefined] is not a
function.

Based on a suggestion on IRC, I next tried accessing the string data
directly (I know this will get the hours not the minutes, it doesn't
matter as long as it gets something):

    Text { text: 'Time Is ' + dataSource.data['Local']['Time'].split(":")[0]; }

This, however, returned essentially the same error:

    main.qml:54: TypeError: Result of expression
'dataSource.data['Local']['Time'].split' [undefined] is not a
function.

Does anyone know what might be going wrong here?  I am using KDE
4.6.80 and the latest git version of kdeexamples.

-Todd