[KDE Usability] Re: Display Management Design

Lukas 1lukas1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 21:19:39 UTC 2011

> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1A7bdmsLBE_oeRZPHxZNMBVAxMQZCkQIclWOrd2mRLGs/edit?hl=en_US
>
> Close.  A few things:
>
> I would move the list of activities to the top right, using a drop-down
> list.

I tried, but such layout look unbalanced. Those 2 lines of preferences gives
just the right weight for the UI.

> > For the controls (rotate, re size, arrow), are they displayed on mouse
> over
> > or always?
>
> Always.  Because of how other interfaces work on past experience,
> users are unlikely to try to interact with the screens unless they
> have some clear indicitation that they should

The difference with previous experiences - current mock has close to no
options that user could try to change. In combination with the size (like
60-70% of window) is preview widget, I personally believe there is no way
user wont try to hover the monitors. Otherwise there is nothing else to do.
In unknown situations people just starts experimenting

> > Also how would this layout perform using clone mode? One display would be
> > below and unelectable. Unless then overlapping, some popup could came up
> and
> > let user to select display in the background.
>
> If they are different sizes, the smaller one would be on top always.
> Otherwise it would probably show as a "clone display" rather than
> showing the individual displays.

Alternate layout for cloned mode added in the mock.