[KDE Usability] Re: Display Management Design

Lukas 1lukas1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 21:03:26 UTC 2011

On 30 July 2011 17:09, todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Alex Fiestas <afiestas at kde.org> wrote:
> > On 07/27/2011 12:16 AM, Lukas wrote:
> >>
> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1A7bdmsLBE_oeRZPHxZNMBVAxMQZCkQIclWOrd2mRLGs/edit?hl=en_US
> >>
> >> Done. Just try to play around with it, if you what.  Quick version with
> >> activities integration :)
> >
> > Now that I think about it... I fail to see what Activity integration can
> > bring to the table, the configuration is mainly related to the
> > monitor(s) you have connected, so once we detect the monitors we can
> > apply the saved configuration.
> >
> > So I'm wondering, do we really want to be able to set a different
> > configuration for the same set of monitors depending on which activity
> > we are? I can think on corner cases but those should not be our primary
> > target.
> >
> > For the rest of the mockup (I've read all the thread) I'm loving the
> > result :)! thanks for it!
>
> I was thinking it would be the other way around, when you switch to a
> particular monitor layout it can optionally be set to also switch to a
> particular activity.  I definitely think that would be helpful.  My
> suggestions have been based on that assumption, but I might have been
> misunderstanding.
>
> -Todd

My assumption was that user might want to have a few profiles with same
layout (e.g on the left) but with different resolutions. The point here is
resizing activity desktop.

If user polishes his extended in the left full HD desktop and later connects
VGA projector plasma will try to adapt entire layout. That would mess up
entire job done on working activity. Having preferred activity per profile
would avoid situations when plasma would have to auto-resize.

Cheers,
Lukas