Battery plasmoid auto hide

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 10:45:42 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 27 July 2011, Alex Fiestas wrote:
> Hi there
>
> At Platform 11 I pointed to sebas that he battery plasmoid was hidden al
> the time, I interpreted that as a bug since it was a change in behavior.
>
> At the time sebas was doubtful about wether keep the change or not, I asked
> again today and he asked me to send this email, so here I'm :p
>
> As you may imagine, I don't like this behavior and the reason is because I
> use the plasmoid to suspend my laptop, so having to do an extra click to
> do it is kinda pita for me.
>
> Sebas pointed in irc that he is using "close lid" to suspend his laptop,
> that will work but as many others kde-workspace users when my laptop is
> connected to the power it won't suspend (I use it with the lid closed a
> lot of times when watching videos or when listening to music).
>
> so, what do you think? should we keep this behavior in 4.7.1?

the concept is to show the plasmoid only when useful, i.e when is on battery,
in which case has useful information.

if one has to rely on its menu for important actions, is maybe a sign that's
the wrong place to put said actions.

one can always add the battery in the panel outside of the systray if really
wants it always there.
the fact that auto hides, is the reason it's white listed among plasmoids that
can go into the systray ;)

i would really dislike the systray becoming a dumping ground again.

Cheers,
Marco Martin