Battery plasmoid auto hide

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Wed Jul 27 10:23:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 10:15 PM, todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Alex Fiestas <afiestas at kde.org> wrote:
>> Hi there
>>
>> At Platform 11 I pointed to sebas that he battery plasmoid was hidden al the
>> time, I interpreted that as a bug since it was a change in behavior.
>>
>> At the time sebas was doubtful about wether keep the change or not, I asked
>> again today and he asked me to send this email, so here I'm :p
>>
>> As you may imagine, I don't like this behavior and the reason is because I use
>> the plasmoid to suspend my laptop, so having to do an extra click to do it is
>> kinda pita for me.
>>
>> Sebas pointed in irc that he is using "close lid" to suspend his laptop, that
>> will work but as many others kde-workspace users when my laptop is connected
>> to the power it won't suspend (I use it with the lid closed a lot of times
>> when watching videos or when listening to music).
>>
>> so, what do you think? should we keep this behavior in 4.7.1?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> I think it should auto-hide unless you are running on batteries, on
> which case it should be visible.  If someone wants to show it then he
> or she can set it to "always show", right?

I should note that when a applet is "automatically hidden" in such a
way, the display of any popup from it really doesn't look all that
great. It floats in the middle of the air, and the hidden items popup
automatically closes when you open the battery popup.

Technically that behaviour is correct, just doesn't look too nice.

Regards,
Ben