[KDE Usability] Re: Display Management Design

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Tue Jul 26 19:58:04 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, July 26, 2011 11:25:14 AM Matt Rogers wrote:
> So I've read through this several times and, in general, it gets it
> right most of the time. However, I have a few questions.
>
> Does the dialog that pops up when a new display is connected only
> displayed when the monitor isn't something that's already been
> configured at least one?
When the monitor has been configured, the kded will use that configuration
instead of popin up the plasmoid

> Why does there even need to be a dialog at all? Why not just activate
> the display to the right of the current display and set it to the
> preferred resolution? If it needs to be changed, then it can be done
> through the KCM.
Well,  there is no "need" of it, though based on my experience with screen
configuration I don't always want to "extend my desktop", so why do it int he
first place?
With the dialog you get to decide what to do.

> The current KCM mockup is too crowded. I don't have a new  mockup for
> this, but IMHO, it makes more sense to split the KCM up into two tabs.
> One with display arrangement, the other with display configurations.
> I'll see what I can come up with in the next few days for this but
> don't count on anything.
You can use evolus Pencil to do it, I will attach to the wikipages the files I
did.

> Will plasma start recognizing the dual display setup as one giant
> screen and set the wallpaper to the new screen to the same as the
> current screen? If not, it should.
I won't do it since plasma containers scare me a little bit... but that may be
nice, yes.

> Regarding the force dpi question, we should just "force" the DPI to be
> the same as the existing screen so there are no issues with font
> rendering between the screens.

I don't know if DPI is per screen or waht... is something I have to study :/

Thanks for your feedback :D