Focus stealing prevention and SNI conflicts

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Jul 23 20:05:41 UTC 2011

On Saturday 23 July 2011 21:58:05 you wrote:
> On Saturday, July 23, 2011 16:35:26 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > On Saturday 23 July 2011 14:21:06 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> > > Am Sat, 23 Jul 2011 09:16:06 +0200
>
> > > c) have SNI act on mb release (to pass the timer test)
>
> for the context menu? if so, that would be very non-standard.
>
> > > d) have SNI release focus before doing anything - why
> > > precisely does it require input focus at all and can we at least assume
> > > that it's safe to drop it eg. once a qmenu has popped up?
> >
> > I like option D unless Plasma devs tell us why it doesn't work ;-)
>
> should be possible; patches welcome.
If you tell me where in the code I have to look, I give it a try.

> on the topic of focus stealing preventing getting in the way, i've noticed
> issues with it over time such as how the gpgagent window never gets focus when
> kmail tries to sign an email.
yes very annoying, especialy as pinentry thinks it's a good idea to grab the keyboard and
making alt+tab no longer work. Here the problem is I think that kmail doesn't set the transient,
but never really checked it.

Attached is my kwin rule to fix pinentry.

> i'm not sure if this is a settings issue on my side or if focus stealing
> prevention is expecting window handling patterns that are not currently being
> adhered to by applications. if the latter, we must document somewhere exactly
> how to do it "right".
Yes that could be something for techbase

> p.s. please keep both mailing lists in the CC; i would have missed Thomas'
> email if Martin hadn't re-replied to both lists. cheers :)
/me votes for one workspace mailinglist

Cheers
Martin