compositingActive not efficient on XRandR events

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Jul 16 15:36:19 CEST 2011

On Saturday 16 July 2011 15:24:56 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> Hi there
>
> One of the issues I have when I setup my XRandR config is that plasma
> fails to set the composite theme (the good looking with ARGB one).
>
> After thinking about it a little bit, and knowing how KWin and Plasma
> are handling XRandR events I think I know where the bug is.
>
> When adding a new screen XRandR produces 3 events: move, resize,
> screenAdded. For each of these events KWin will restart the composite.
> At the same time, Plasma listens ot each of these events and do its part
> of the job (resizing panels etc), and I guess that is in these events
> where plasma updates the Theme (and ask if composite is on). This will
> eventually fail since KWin can be in the mdidle of restarting the
> composite, so Plasma will sue the not-compositing theme instead.
>
> After checking how KWindowSystem::compositingActive works on X11 I'm out
> of ideas of how to fix this issue correctly, so maybe we've to add a
> workaround in Plasma or maybe something else between KWin and Plasma.
>
> Any ideas?
The bug is much simpler - Plasma just simply fails to recognize that a compositing manager is
active. I can see this each time I restart kwin (which is considerable often). In order to get
translucent panels back, I have to kquitapp plasma-desktop, plasma-desktop.

If anyone knows where to look at in Plasma code, I would try to fix it as it deeply annoys me.

Cheers
Martin