Regarding login authentication of students by the containment...in KDE Plasma Educational Desktop

karan pratap singh wizard.karan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 16:39:08 CEST 2011

Hi

Sooo.. when the student logs in, the custom containment in each student
desktop has to authenticate the student with the local classroom server...

So we have 2 ways of authenticating the student with the server using
kde-telepathy:

a) We expect the student to remember his username and password, which he
will enter in a KDialog popup box by the containment, and if he enters the
username/password correctly( which will be verified by telepathy ), then the
KDialog box will disappear and his previous saved layout will be fetched
from the server.

OR

b) We hardcode the username and password for each student's machine, so that
a desktop A will always have the same username and password, when desktop A
loads its containment, then its hardcoded account will be used to
authenticate it with the classroom server, and we then get the student's id
number(using a KDialog) to fetch his layout from the server.

Option b seems suitable, because students may not remember their details
properly...where as in option b they only have to remember their id-number,
which in case a student forgets, the teacher would have a backup copy of it.

but the BIG Problem with option b is that the a student can type some other
student's id number and get other student's previous layout, instead of his
own...this will not happen in option a.

In both the above cases, we will have to setup the individual
accounts(whether they belong to the desktops or the students themselves)
initially at the time of classroom environment setup.

So I suggest that I continue with option a)......any comments or
suggestions?

--
regards,
Karan Pratap Singh