Detecting plasmoid in use

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 20:07:49 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I'm trying to solve the following problem in KDE-Telepathy - since the
connection to IM networks is held by the system itself and not by any
Telepathy component, we need to detect if any presence handlers are active
(in other words - components, that tells you you're online). We currently
have only two such handlers - contact list app and a plasmoid (with
dataengine) and we need a way to detect from contact list, if the plasmoid
is active (in use). The plasmoid is pure QML, therefore we can't do any dbus
magic directly with it (or can we?).

So I'd like to know - is there any way that we can detect if the plasmoid is
in use from any KApp and not depend on Plasma libs? And related question -
is the dataengine in use only when the plasmoid is active? If so, is it
"safe" (in terms that we can rely on it 100%) to export some activity
indicator from the dataengine on dbus?

Thanks a lot,
--Marty