The next step (4.7) Maybe MORE MOUSE BUTTONS ?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jan 31 22:59:29 CET 2011

On Monday, January 31, 2011, Rick Stockton wrote:
> Aaron, you've inspired me to slightly "pre-announce" something which
> I've not yet completed within Qt: Support for more mouse buttons.

oh, that is such good news!

> also be enhanced. But, for people to *SEE* something new and cool on
> 4.7, right away, I think that Plasma should show off enhanced mouse
> shortcuts, right out of the box.

agreed. i don't use mice with lots of buttons (in fact i usually just use the
trackpad on my laptop :) so i'm probably not the best person to suggest what
those shortcuts should be ...

... but i can imagine it'd be nice to hook it up with things like "present
windows" or "show desktop".

i'm happy to help with the plasma(-desktop?) side of things if someone can
come up with a nice listing of things to connect such buttons to.

> (In 4.7, we should be able to offer use of "gamer" mouse buttons as
> shortcuts on the Compositing desktop.) That gets our UI more competitive
> with the mouse shortcuts of Compiz.

indeed; maybe it makes sense to coordinate our shortcuts with theirs, if they
already have some presets that work and which their users are used to?

> That's a lot of work, in a lot of different parts of KDE. I've never
> submitted a single patch for KDE, and don't have a lot of time to donzte
> into this effort.

slow is ok. and if you document what needs to be done (e.g. on
community.kde.org) then maybe some of us will be able to help out with
development time.

one place that should get support for this is the keyboard shortcuts widget.
that will automatically give support for them to a lot of apps.

> I have an immediate question for those of you who know KDE better than I
> do: Is there a naming convention which you would like me to use when I
> expand the Qt enumeration? (If there are plans for KDE mouse support on
> Windows, or other non-X11 platforms, please think about button naming
> compatibility. I know Zilch about pointers on those platforms.)

you should maybe ask on kde-windows at kde.org .. i bet they'll know :)

humru othro a kohnu se