the next step on the desktop

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jan 31 20:51:06 CET 2011

On Monday, January 31, 2011, Alex Fiestas wrote:
> So, if the situation is as bad as you think it is we should organize a
> sprint or something and try to fix the current freedesktop situation,

that would require GNOME developers attending with the same goal in mind.
unfortunately, they have demonstrated repeatedly during gnome-shell
devleopment that they have no intention to cooperate more. if anything, they
have demonstrated that they wish to work less with others (and not just KDE,
btw). no amount of development sprints can force such people into a more
sensible way of working, they have to want to do so on their own.

it's a sad state of affairs, and very frustrating indeed, but at this point
the only answer i can think of is to find others to work with (as we did in
Canonical with status notifiers) and to discourage people from using GNOME3,
e.g. by providing something better.

humru othro a kohnu se