the next step on the desktop

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 14:54:45 CET 2011

On Monday 31 January 2011, Nuno Pinheiro wrote:
> A Segunda, 31 de Janeiro de 2011 13:00:50 Marco Martin você escreveu:

> > > We talked about this in last tokamac remember?
> > > Imo a merge of krunner, activityes management, and the cashew and a few
> > > specific tryicons (just the hardware vital ones) into somthing that is
> > > allwyas visible (hinted wen a window is full scren) (btw we have a
> > > problem
> >
> > I still don't think this could be the place for systray icons, but i
> > completely agree on merging krunner and the toolbox,
> > with a window like the panel not always on top, always visible and
> > brought on top on screen edge
> >
> > > here, we need to push people to stop using full screen apps as much as
> > > they think its better its realy not, unless the screnn is realy small
> > > but for that we have the netbook  experience)
> >
> > provocation: remove the maximize button by default? ;) (as the netbook
> > doesn't have minimize)
>
> will talk to mgrslin this afternoon but somthing like a optimal size buton
> instead of max... if you clik it again it goes max.... now the apps would
> need to provide info to kwin about it... this comes in line with the other
> crazy ideas we benn cooking. worth trying IMO

that's basically what the osx fake "maximize" button does.
for this a size hint is needed at the level of the wndow manager.
now, a qt application of course has an hint for its top level widget that will
be the window..
maybe this could be passed as atom, if still there isn't one in the netwm spec
(but not that i know of)
if the app doesn't provide an hint, it could jut fall back at be a normal
maximize

Cheers,
Marco Martin