the next step on the desktop

Ivan Cukic ivan.cukic at kde.org
Mon Jan 31 13:53:33 CET 2011

While I tend to agree with the notion that a continued (r)evolution is
needed, I have a few problems with some of these ideas.

> * by default, Search and Launch on the desktop
> * an icon in this S&L that takes you to your desktop folder .. in a file
> manager.

SAL is awesome. But it is designed for netbooks. If you start it on a 21"
screen, you'll see what I mean. While it still looks and works great on
more inches, it wastes a *lot* of space (the whole desktop).

Meaning - no other widgets can be added to the desktop, no d'n'd "dumping
grounds" as Markus put it...

A launcher is something that is needed on all activities (as in work-
activity, not as a Plasma /containment/) - with SAL taking the whole
desktop, would I need another monitor for adding more widgets?

The idea of merging krunner and SAL and making them more prominent that
way is great especially if it means kicking off Kickoff (pun intended ;) )
to plasma-addons and away from the default setup.

It could even end up as something similar to mockups we had before 4.o.
Anyone remembers: http://imagebin.org/135379

> * a new panel layout (TBD: let's work on this together!)

+1

> * improve the tasks widget to have some of the nice features of widgets
> like "smooth tasks" with the mouse over highlights

+1 and to remove the number limitation of grouped window screenshots

> * an "activities" widget (i'll hapilly write it) that sits next to the
> app launcher and when clicked brings up the actvities manager

Honestly, I think integrating something like that into SAL-desktop-edition
would be nicer than to pull the current actman

> * an activities switcher as a kwin effect (!)

+1

> * have all activities avaiable in kactivitmanagerd, even if they are
> "stopped" in plasma-desktop

? Activities that are stopped are still in kamd.

> so, here's my suggestion for 4.7:

This can be a strategic problem - introducing a big change will definitely
make some users /unhappy/ and loud about it - and if we do that for 4.7,
we could stop the stream of new users comming from Gnome (unsatisfied with
G3).

--
There's so many different worlds, so many different suns
We have just one world, but we live in different ones