the next step on the desktop

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jan 31 02:22:41 CET 2011

hi...

back when we started the path towards plasma i said that we needed to slowly
evolve the desktop beyond the desktop folder with icons littered on the
desktop.

now we have activities, kick-ass containments like search and launch and
grouping desktop.

it is time to go to that next step and move people away from the old ways.

i was at a friend's house last night where a bunch of people gathered to hang
out, chat, play games, etc. there was a desktop system there running plasma
desktop with the search and launch containment and a gorgeous translucent
panel couresty of kwin.

i saw it and hardly recognized it: it looked new, amazing, the next thing. it
looked amazing.

so, here's my suggestion for 4.7:

let's try something big and new. let's make that Big Move and step away from
~/Desktop.

my proposal is this:

* by default, Search and Launch on the desktop
* an icon in this S&L that takes you to your desktop folder .. in a file
manager.
* a new panel layout (TBD: let's work on this together!)
* improve the tasks widget to have some of the nice features of widgets like
"smooth tasks" with the mouse over highlights
* an "activities" widget (i'll hapilly write it) that sits next to the app
launcher and when clicked brings up the actvities manager
* an activities switcher as a kwin effect (!)
* have all activities avaiable in kactivitmanagerd, even if they are "stopped"
in plasma-desktop

thoughts?

humru othro a kohnu se