Review Request: Adding "Set Wallpaper Image" Option in Picture Frame

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jan 26 20:17:34 CET 2011

On Wednesday, January 26, 2011, todd rme wrote:
> I think the only way to do this properly is to let the plugins decide for
> themselves how to handle pictures sent to them.  If a plugin doesn't
> provide a way to handle pictures, only then do you resort to changing the
> plugin.

that's actually how the current design works:

* a wallpaper can advertise which mimetypes it supports with X-Plasma-
DropMimeTypes in the .desktop file

* setUrls is called with a list of urls and the wallpaper decides how to deal
with it

what needs to be added for it to really work well, including with the drag and
drop, is probably a second .desktop entry that notes what kind of mimetypes
the current paper can accomodate.

the reason for this is if we use X-Plasma-DropMimeTypes for this and the user
drops an image onto their desktop, we probably don't want them to get a list
that says:

Image
Slideshow
Virus
Clock

since what they probably want is just to choose between "Image" and "setting
whatever i have now to use that". so if they are using a wallpaper plugin that
supports that mimetype, it should probably just show that in the choices.
otherwise, it can look through the offers from X-Plasma-DropMimeTypes and
offer something from there.

and for that, we could just use use the standard MimeType= entry in the
.desktop file for wallpaper plugins. :)

so then this patch (and the drop code in Containment) should be ammended to:

* check if the current wallpaper plugin, if any, supports the dropped type,
and offer to set that as the wallpaper

* if not, then look for alternatives and offer those

humru othro a kohnu se