plasma kpart theming

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 17:50:46 CET 2011

On Monday 24 January 2011, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > yeah, I'm not a great fan of the wallpaper as well, (i actually don't
> > like that much any of the current "start pages")
> >
> > but the only alternative to me is using the standard white "view" color
> > from the color scheme, that looks a bit "poor" i think (but we can
> > decide is good enough eh ;)).
>
> What about no background at all? (that is window's background - like
> it is in amarok now) The downside would be that the plasma theme would
> need to be usable on both dark and light backgrounds, but it would
we can change the colors to system ones in the svg xml now :D

> look more like a part of the application itself than a strange foreign
> object.

i don't really like it being gray that much, because to me things with that
background are more "crome", "controls" rather than "content", and usually
that page would mean showing quick informations, so more "content"

that by the way is a thing that i don't like that much as well of the current
look of amarok/dolphin and dockwidgets in general.

> Somehow, I find that every application we have (ok, I'm going a bit
> out of the scope of plasma-devel) has too many 'views'.
>
> Just fire up Kontact, and switch to KMail.
> - First view - the application chooser on the left. Ok, it isn't
> white, but it still has a border like a normal view.
> - Second - the folder tree
> - Third - the message list
> - Fourth - message display
>
> For me, the tree in Dolphin looks much better.
>
> Applied to Kontact, something like this:
> http://i.imgur.com/6fctK.jpg
>
> (this is not a mock - it is kontact started with a custom style sheet
> - thus the ugly column sorter for the folder view, and top borders
> which are impossible to get rid of this way)

again, is a bit too a "sea of gray" to me...

> > and yes, *if* those pages are going to look like this, the about pages
> > should have a similar theme as well (btw the current one besides looking
> > too much like the workspace one, has an ugly problem at the borders, not
> > solvable in html)
>
> I was always wondering why do we have those at all...

i second that ;)

Cheers,
Marco Martin