KDE-ify QML all across KDE

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jan 10 19:52:20 CET 2011

On Sunday, January 9, 2011, Marco Martin wrote:
> at the moment it links to qtdeclarative, kdecore and kdeui (just for kicon,
> if QIcon::fromTheme works good enough perhaps we can keep kdeui out)

keeping kdeui out if we can would be good, imho esp as it is just for one
class which we can use Qt for instead in this case. my only concern is whether
or not Qt does appropriate disk caching to make repeated icon requests
guaranteed fast. my guess is 'no', but that's just a guess. it would be nice
if Qt could lay off icon loading to the platform plugin which it currently
doesn't do.

one possibility is, once it is in kdelibs, to pull in _just_ KIcon from kdeui
and build it directly into the QML bindings. that would mean (currently)
pulling in KIconLoader, KIconTheme, KIconEffect, K3Icon and KIconCache. not
great, but better than all of kdeui, and there may be room for improvements
there, even (i'm currently looking into why KIconCache even exists still)

> This would go in a (probably separate library) in kdelibs, making it
> possible to use from qml plasmoids as before or also in c++plasmoids or
> non plasmoid ui components of plasma (where we still don't have the same
> nice bindings) but also from completely independent applications like
> Kontact touch/calligra mobile/whatever.

very, very nice :)

humru othro a kohnu se