dah-dah-da-daaaaah! synchrotron!

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Jan 8 19:25:02 CET 2011

On Saturday, January 8, 2011, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> On 07.01.2011, at 19:39, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> >> Introducing custom parameter kills OCS as a standard because this means
> >> that not all clients can talk to all servers.
> >
> > which actually isn't relevant in this case.
>
> why? You suggest to extend an open standard with a custom parameter so that
> it only work with your server. This kills the standard.
> I think this can and should be avoided.

please read what i've written again, in particular:

* mass update checking is not actually covered in the spec (just per-item
update timestamps)

* this is experimental, i don't know if it will work, so i am not interested
in trying to push it into a standard until we have some working experience
with it

* this is ok, because interop doesn't matter right now since we do, indeed,
control both the client and the server side of it. everything will continue to
work absolutely fine with other implementations aside from this one specific
aspect

if the point of the spec is to suck in every single feature anyone implements
ever it's going to become a really ugly specification full of half-baked (or
worse) ideas. the spec is already a bit unwieldy. once we have some experience
with implementing this specific feature set on the client side, then we can
take it to the ocs list.

humru othro a kohnu se