dah-dah-da-daaaaah! synchrotron!

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jan 7 19:39:20 CET 2011

On Friday, January 7, 2011, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> On 07.01.2011, at 01:47, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 6, 2011, Frank Karlitschek wrote:

> Introducing custom parameter kills OCS as a standard because this means
> that not all clients can talk to all servers.

which actually isn't relevant in this case.

> And I don´t really understand why because it is absolutely no problem to
> work together with the other server and client developers and put it into
> the official spec.

it isn't a problem. i just don't want to waste anyone's time (including my
own) working through a standardization process for something which we don't
know how well it will work in practice.

> > the lack of a well-defined version # scheme is moderately troubling, but
> > i'm trying hard to ignore that as a source of possible edge cases ;)
>
> Perhaps it´s not complete clear in the spec but there is in fact a system.
> We discussed this with the MeeGo and Midgard guys during academy. A higher
> number in the version field means a newer number which is than offered to
> the user as an update. The version field don´t has to be the real version
> string like "KDE 4.6 RC2 patch 17" it can a random number. It just has to

this is precisely the issue: it isn't well defined so it can be "4.6 RC2 patch
17". amarok's got a cute little "version number parser" that assumes an
"x.y.z" style approach. this really ought to be specified in detail in the
spec so that systems can be reliably built around it.

> be increased to push a new version to the users. This is how it work in
> the new MeeGo Installer for example. Cou could just use the git revision
> number in the version field and your done.

git uses commit hashes, not revision #s, so i'm not sure if this would work to
well in the case of git.

humru othro a kohnu se