Move KDEObservatory applet and dataengine to kde-apps

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annma at kde.org
Tue Jan 4 11:11:26 CET 2011

On Tuesday 04 January 2011 03:32:05 Sandro Andrade wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 10:35 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Monday, January 3, 2011, Sandro Andrade wrote:
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> Due to last changes in KDE repositories (git migration) and some
> >> dependencies on services provided by my personal website,
> >> I would like to move (as suggested by Anne-Marie) KDE Observatory
> >> applet and dataengine from kdeplasma-addons to kde-apps.
> >>
> >> Any particular considerations about that ?
> >
> > what is kde-apps? kde extragear? or are you suggesting moving it to kde-
> > apps.org and out of KDE's svn/git altogether?
>
> The web service used by KDE Observatory is experiencing a very high
> load of SQL queries
> due to high commit traffic information. So, I need to make some
> changes in order to have it
> functional again and take the chance and provide git integration.
> Since it's usually getting no
> information from the service, Anna's suggested moving it somewhere
> else. Extragear is fine
> for me, or any other place just to have these things solved.
>
> Thanks,
> Sandro
You totally misunderstood what I wrote: the KDE Observatory data engine uses
Sandro own website and it seems down.
It's not about moving the code, it's about the webservice.
The applet displays nothing for me and in the konsole output I see
plasma-desktop(22814) KdeObservatory::engineError: Source: "allProjectsInfo"
Error: "Unknown host sandroandrade.org"
I suggested to see if Sandro could use a KDE server or kde-files.org instead of
his own webspace (which is generally not our policy).

Probably my mail was not clear enough that it was about web services hosting
and not about the code itself which is fine in kdeplasma-addons.

If you are hosting the service on your own space because KDE does not provide
the server you need then we should address that. Unfortunately I'll be away
for a couple of weeks (maybe more) without proper internet at my parents' home
but when I am back I could start to initiate a work group on this and GHNS.

There's no urgency though.

Best regards,

Anne-Marie