Window thumbnail and Javascript

Martin Gräßlin kde at martin-graesslin.com
Sun Jan 2 19:26:39 CET 2011

On Sunday 02 January 2011 19:09:40 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > FYI: rotating a window is trivial in kwin - built in feature of the
> > rendering pipeline.
>
> yes :)
What I forgot: it's of course only available in the OpenGL backend.

> > The difficult part would be IMHO the X atom and
> > calculating the correct aspect in the thumbnail effect.
>
> the X atom could be extended with one value that denotes the degrees of
> rotation from vertical, no? if we wish to have full 3D rotation, then we'd
> need three values and it gets more complex. 2D rotation is a simple single
> value, however.
The rendering pipeline supports exactly one rotation around either the x, y or
z axis. If we want a simple 2D rotation we only need the angle. For full 3D
rotation the pipeline is too limited. But it's on my TODO to allow an
arbitrary number of rotations.

> we can ignore this issue completely and in the common case it will be Good
> Enough(tm); if the item is ever rotated on the canvas, it'll look odd,
> however. we can, of course, choose to live with that and i don't think any
> kittens will die ;)
Third possible option would be to not render a thumbnail at all if it's
rotated.