[RFC] Enforcing Compositing

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 13:47:28 CET 2011

A Romario's message somehow got bouced away by the server, pasting here:

2011/2/20 Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org>

> On Sunday 20 February 2011 22:30:01 Beat Wolf wrote:
> > Then leave it out during dev, but in when releasing.
> I wrote that in my initial mail about the config option.
> >
> > I just don't agree that for example nvidia will fix their drivers just
> > because kde does not work with some, probably older cards.
> They actually fixed quite some bugs after the 4.1 release.
>
> Concerning older cards: KWin will continue to work if the driver does not
> support compositing. It's only about enforcing if the driver supports it.

My driver "supports" compositing, but the workspace becomes almost unusably
slow when it's enabled (Unichrome integrated GPU), but it runs mostly fine
otherwise.

Check, at least, the FPS rate and disable compositing if it's < 30 FPS
average.

> > But i know that i can't win that debate. But i just know that such a
> > decision will cause problems.
> We are lucky: we will see the results of GNOME Shell and Unity in April -
> enough time for us to adjust.

> > > bugs need to be fixed and not worked around.
> > >
> > > That is exactly one of the reasons why I want to have it disabled. It's
> > > just not an option that something like 4.5 happens ever again! We need
> > > know problems during development and if devs tend to just turning of
> > > compositing it will happen again.

> scope

> options.

> enable