Featurlets for 4.7

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 14:52:40 CET 2011

On Thursday 24 February 2011, Luiz Romário Santana Rios wrote:

> > --
> > Luiz Romário Santana Rios
>
> So, I took a look at the docs, and it looks rather simple to do that
> button. You tell me if I'm doing it right:
>
>  - Create an icon widget.
>    + Just a Plasma.IconWidget, right? The only problem is that QIcon
> doesn't seem to be supported by QML, so I can't set the icon property.

with a qml-only plasmoid you can
icon: QIcon("preferences-activities")

>  - Declare a QObject based on QDBusInterface to QML.
>    + Since QML elements only support default constructors, create a new
> class that composes QDBusInterface and turn each argument of the
> constructor into a property.
>    + Create an asyncCall method that just calls QDBusInterface's asyncCall
> and make it Q_EXPORTABLE.
>  - Instantiate a DBus Interface of plasma on the QML.
>    + Just pass the constructor parameters as properties (How do I know
> which plasma shell [plasma-desktop, plasma-netbook] is running?).
>  - Make an asyncCall onClicked.
>    + onClicked: iface.asyncCall("local.PlasmaApp.toggleDashborad()"), I
> guess.

what about putting this in the activities dataengine?
it would be an operation of the service associated to the source "Current"

this hoewver would make the activities service depending on plasma-desktop, a
thing that i really don't like.
probably the service should figure out the bus name of its running process and
we then require that a plasma shell shows a toggleActivityManager() (if it
supports actvities)

to figure the bus name it could be constructed the same way, so org.kde
.appname of the kapplication, - pid.

Cheers,
Marco Martin