(Mockup) Re: [RFC] Enforcing Compositing

Nuno Pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Mon Feb 21 20:51:40 CET 2011

A Segunda, 21 de Fevereiro de 2011 18:55:25 Martin Gräßlin você escreveu:
> On Monday 21 February 2011 12:55:48 Markus Slopianka wrote:
> > Am Montag 21 Februar 2011, 07:24:33 schrieb Martin Gräßlin:
> > > I don't want to remove the workaround, I only do not longer want to
> > > expose it in the UI. That's a big difference. And I really like Markus'
> > > idea with the None compositing backend.
> >
> > I took a few minutes of time to squeeze out a mockup:
> > http://kamikazow.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/kwin-mockup.png
>
> Only one comment: disabling all effects does not make sense ;-)
>
> > To my own surprise it reduces clutter to a greater degree than I thought
> > it would while also not losing any features.
> >
> > As a side note: In the "All effects" tab the categories are sorted
> > alphabetically. While in theory that sounds good, seeing "Tools" above
> > "Window Management" makes no sense. "Tools" is probably no used by anyone
> > besides a handful of people who develop KWin and benchmarking geeks.
>
> The all effects tab is IMHO completely useless. With more than 40 effects
> with hardly any grouping. We need a different solution here

what we need is sane bewtiful and probably exculsive (exclusiv as made by us)
defoults and efects.... the type of person brave enough to look at a efects
list dosent mind a miriad of options.... we should remember allyas that most
people don't chage defoults.... As a global experience impact we can achive
much better results by providing a more unified experience as defoults go,
than by trying to create better configure U's :)

#note im not sayin we should not improve the UI but... i would be muuch
happier to have a coherent set of efects that are part of the experience, and
not random bits of eye candy.

> > I'd also merge a few effect entries that are mutually exclusive: There
> > are at least two Minimize effects which could be merged into one entry
> > with "Normal" or "Genie" as radio buttons in the effect's config window.
> > Same for closing windows, magnification lens, etc.
>
> Agreed, this is something the current selection does not allow. If you want
> to work on a concept for a new solution that would be highly appreciated.
>
> Cheers
> Martin

oxygen guy, "I make the pretty pictures"