(Mockup) Re: [RFC] Enforcing Compositing

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Feb 21 14:24:42 CET 2011

On Monday, February 21, 2011 12:55:48 Markus Slopianka wrote:
> Am Montag 21 Februar 2011, 07:24:33 schrieb Martin Gräßlin:
> > I don't want to remove the workaround, I only do not longer want to
> > expose it in the UI. That's a big difference. And I really like Markus'
> > idea with the None compositing backend.
>
> I took a few minutes of time to squeeze out a mockup:
> http://kamikazow.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/kwin-mockup.png
>
> To my own surprise it reduces clutter to a greater degree than I thought it
> would while  also not losing any features.
>
> As a side note: In the "All effects" tab the categories are sorted
> alphabetically. While in theory that sounds good, seeing "Tools" above
> "Window Management" makes no sense. "Tools" is probably no used by anyone
> besides a handful of people who develop KWin and benchmarking geeks.
>
> I'd also merge a few effect entries that are mutually exclusive: There are
> at least two  Minimize effects which could be merged into one entry with
> "Normal" or "Genie" as radio buttons in the effect's config window.
> Same for closing windows, magnification lens, etc.

I agree with Martin that the KWin KCMs could use a major redesign, shuffling
options around is not enough and leads to confusion among users short-term,
without tackling the real problem long term.

For one, the pages widget and tab widgets bring a second navigational level
(choose right page, then choose the right tab), which is really quite broken.
That should be tackled, rather than shuffling options.

Furthermore, this is not a UI design issue, don't make it one. (We can work on
that later when there's consensus about the way forward.)

sebas