[RFC] Enforcing Compositing

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 00:32:29 CET 2011

Am 20.02.2011, 22:06 Uhr, schrieb Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org>:

> On Sunday 20 February 2011 22:00:58 Davide Bettio wrote:
>> I can't understand the point about removing enable/disable options.
>> if we don't want to give the user the possibility to disable, we don't
>> need an option to enable/disable.
we'll provide _some_ way to get rid of it - that doesn't have to be a
"regular" setting, though.

--

> with Wayland it will be impossible to turn off compositing, same in GNOME
> Shell, Unity and Mac OS X (don't know about Windows).
winblows: install the starter edition ;-p
about wayland/osx/direct2d - one has to be fair and mention that those
render stacks have been designed with compositing in mind, while we're
currently taking an original CAD API + some conversion to provide
compositing from a client side. that's not quite comparable :-)

Anyway, there's few reason to not use compositing if your HW can do it -
at least XRender is "pretty" lightweight (if you don't add fancy stuff
like translucency etc.)
It would oc be MUUUUCH better if we had direct access to (pot) client
internal offscreen buffers =)

Cheers,
Thomas