[RFC] Enforcing Compositing

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Feb 20 15:38:22 CET 2011

On Sunday 20 February 2011 15:12:58 Rohan Prabhu wrote:
> Hi,
> Having compositing enabled by default is good. Not allowing the user
> to switch it off is bad. Here are a few reasons why I think so:
>
> 1. Support does not mean performance: even though on some systems
> there would be enough support to have OpenGL compositing, the system
> may not perform that well. The performance may be choppy, and might
> cause a systemic lag. And it's not always possible to have an
> algorithmically valid assessment of this performance.
We have two categories of problems
1. Hardware not supporting OpenGL properly (e.g. Ati R100 in Thomas' example)
2. Performance problems caused by bad implementation

For the first one, there is only one solution: Don't use Plasma. It does not
meet our hardware requirement. Windows 7 wouldn't run on it, Mac OS X would
not run on it, GNOME Shell would not run on it, Unity would not run on it, why
should Plasma still support legacy hardware?

The second issue should be gone with modern drivers (>= 7.10) and modern
compositor (master). If you currently have performance issues, install mesa
7.10 and current master and try again ;-)
> I do  understand
> that if compositing is enabled without any effects, it shouldn't
> consume a lot more resources,
Effects do not cause more resources - those are idle most of the time. If you
don't use present windows, it won't cause resources to be occupied.
> but for newer users or non-experienced
> users, it might be a little troubling.
> 2. Some applications have a problem with compositing. A very specific
> example would be Warcraft III using Wine. Whenever I alt+tab without
> compositing on, it works. With compositing on, when I alt-tab back,
> all I get is a black screen. So for quite a few games I have to switch
> off compositing and play. Another good example would be Quake where
> the performance is affected severely with compositing on.
see Thomas' mail to the performance with e.g. games and possible solutions
> 3. Some just dont like it: I dont like the transperencies of the
> plasma dashboard and the tooltip boxes. I just put up with it because
> i really think alt+tabbing is cool and i am too lazy to track down
> which effect causes the transperency.
"Don't like" is no valid argument ;-) And no effect is responsible for
transparency, that's built-in