[GSOC] Home automation

Marsollier Robin robin.marsollier at etudiant.univ-rennes1.fr
Sat Feb 19 16:04:13 CET 2011

Hi,

I am a French student in 4th year of university cycle, I aim for next year to
integrate acedemic training of home automation in Rennes.

I am also a convinced users of FLOSS since 2years and of KDE since SC 4.3.

I am interrested in ergonomics and other disciplines (I like read Aurélien
Gateau's blog posts and other related stuff for example) , and I think home
automation could improve its ergonomics and concept to be very efficient.

Typically, in this kind of dashboard, we can found various graphics related on
cumsumption of several element in the house, actual state of some element,
actions buttons and some other stuff .

Last year, for studies, I had a "research" project whose goal was to realize a
draft of a dashbord to be use daily in home automation, so I have basics skills
on what could be realize or not and I can observe that one the main issue of
this type of dashboard is they are design to only show information related to
home automation when they should be integrated in the center of our use of
cumputering, and I think Plasma could do it easily.

I am currently talking with folks of Domogik¹, a free home automation server.

Do you think it could be possible with the plasma technologies and what do you
think about this idea in general ?
I am not aware of other implementation of the concept I have exposed and I
know that would be very innovative and with some work of reflexion, but that's
a part of what attracks me.

I will join you on IRC in coming days, i couldn't for the moment but I wanted
anymay to expose my idea and collect some opinions.

¹ : http://www.domogik.org/
--

Robin Marsollier
M1 Électronique et Télécommunication - Université de Rennes 1