multiscreen fix

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Feb 17 23:19:42 CET 2011

On Thursday, February 17, 2011, John Layt wrote:
> and panels and plugging/unplugging that I should really find/open bug

s,open,fix,g ;)

seriously, the main reason why kicker got as good with multiscreen (not to
mention multiple panels on the same screen) as it did is because i used a 2
screen desktop for ~2 years, during which time i fixed every issue i spotted.

it was worth it to me because it affected my daily usage. i used multiple
panels on both screens of a multi-screen set up, my workflow at the time
relied on it, so i put some effort into it.

opening bug reports does nothing, directly, to make the code better.

i'm not expecting to have a multiscreen setup again for the foreseeable
future, so it really needs some other people chipping away at the user
experience of panels in multiscreen. your lives will improve, as will many
others who also use multiscreen.

just think how absurd it is that, once again, most of the current multiscreen
features and fixes in plasma-desktop (including multihead) have been written
by me on a single screen system. "absurd" is the perfect word. i've had some
grateful and dedicated testers, but that's like feeding each other with 10
foot chopsticks: yes, it's possible, but it's really clumsy and very silly.

i know man of you have a million other things to do, but this is an excellent
investment in your day to day experience on your computer. and generally, once
it's Fixed(tm) it doesn't need to be revisited as that code tends not to
change at all once working.

humru othro a kohnu se